Happy Hump Day, April is almost over and May will soon be upon us. How has you’re year gone so far, mine has been amazing! One of my New Year’s resolutions was to break out of my comfort zone! Everyone has seen inspirational quotes that encourage you to get out and do something strange—something you wouldn’t normally do—but getting out of your routine just takes so much work. But don’t worry with a few adjustments, you can break away from your routine and do great things!!
It’s important to push the boundaries of your comfort zone, and when you do, it’s kind of a big deal! So here are some tip on how to do just that!
Break Out of Your Comfort Zone
- Change your everyday routine-Something as simple as changing the route you take to work or going to lunch with co-workers. If you usually eat alone and read a book in your car (so, me, lol!) Whether the change is big or small, make a change in the way you do things on a day-to-day basis. Another thing, don’t be discouraged if things don’t work out the way you planned. Tomorrow is a new day!
- Trust yourself and be spontaneous- I know this can be scary for people who are use to planning every aspect of their lives. Challenge yourself to making one or two spontaneous decision a week. As a result, of being more spontaneous, I’ve had some of the best times in these past few months. What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger!
- Take your time making decisions- While being spontaneous can be fun and amazing, some decisions have to be thought out carefully.
- Do it in small steps- It takes a lot of courage to break out of your comfort zone. You get the same benefits whether you go in with both feet as you do if you start slow! Don’t be afraid to start slow. If you’re socially anxious, start small. Find a local group that you maybe interested in joining, to make new friends. Identify your fears, and then face them step by step.
- Find a role model who’s done what you want to do- Sometime all you need is someone in your corner to tell you that they have been there and done that! Hearing their story can motivate you to take that first step! Getting out of your comfort zone is easier if you know of someone who’s been where you want to go.
Breaking My Comfort Zone
Since I have given you some great tips on how to break out of your comfort zone, I must share how I am breaking out of mine. As I have mention in previous post, I am not one to be social. Give me a good book and some tea, and I can stay in bed all day. This had become the routine for me and I needed to break the habit. Breaking this habit was going to be hard if I didn’t have the right motivation! As a result of starting my blog in Jan of this year, I discovered a group called Black Bloggers United and they were seeking to recruit regional directors to expand their reach.
My first spontaneous moment, was when I applied and was chosen to be a Regional Director for Black Bloggers United. My initial reaction was excitement then fear, what had I done, what did I get myself into! Remember, I had only been blogging for 3 months when I was chosen. The bloggers I was reaching out to had never heard of me or my blog. But, I pushed through my fears and doubt and reached out to all the black blogger I could find in the Birmingham area and invited them to my first event!
The Moment of Truth
The meet-up was set for April 15, from 12pm-1pm at a local Starbucks, and I must say I was so nervous sitting all alone at the table in Starbucks, wondering if anyone would come. As the minutes ticked by and I was getting even more nervous, someone showed up and I was like YES, LOL! As time passed more and more people came and eventually we had to borrow chairs from another table to fit everyone! I had such an amazing time meeting all the young ladies who attended! As we laughed and talked, my nervousness melted away! It was so worth it, to step out of my comfort zone! I had the opportunity to meet such amazing women, this past weekend!
In closing, pulling yourself out of your comfort zone, can be exhilarating and sooo exciting. So the next time you are faced with something that makes you uncomfortable, remember to be spontaneous!! Step-out of your comfort zone! Have a great rest of the week, and let me know what you have done lately that was out of your comfort zone! Leave a comment below!